Searching for a unique gift idea for an expectant or new mom? Received a baby shower invitation in the mail? Look no further for what to gift a new mother.
These modern, chic presents will make any soon-to-be mother or new mom feel appreciated on her first Mother’s Day or long into the “fourth trimester.”
Unique gifts for new mothers
Personalized Gift Ideas
Personalized, thoughtful gifts for mom make some of the best gifts for new parents.
A personalized bracelet is a wearable, meaningful gift that will remind the new mother of what she has been through while still being beautiful and sophisticated. It’s a thoughtful gift that she will never forget.
A photo book to put pictures from her pregnancy or from other happy moments in her life will make this an even more special gift idea because it helps the new mother look back on what she has been through with joy, sadness, and hope all at once to remind her of how much she has accomplished!
First time moms may want a less-traditional bag that looks a little bit more like a handbag or backpack than a typical diaper bag.
Include items like hand sanitizer, diaper cream, and burp cloths in the bag so that mom is ready to take her brand-new baby out and about!
Another great idea is to include a little bag of items for mom. Things like nipple cream, lip balm, or even dry shampoo would make a great gift for a close friend.
Vera Bradley Backpack: Give this to new mums who crave a “diaper bag” sans bunny and rainbow print. Available in black or gray, the bag has all the needed essentials – zip closure, outside pockets, two insulated bottle pockets, as well as a changing pad and zip-top pouch. Another plus: the bag is washable.
Kate Spade New York Chelsea Baby Bag Tote: This black bag is quite chic. In wipeable nylon, the bag includes exterior side pockets, interior pockets (including bottle pockets), stroller straps, and a changing pad.
DEAL! Miggy and Hat Diaper Bag: With all the features of the previous two bags, this funky bag has converts into a changing station – for a bargain price.
UGG Australia’ Boo’ Baby Bootie with Lacin: These adorable booties are available for babies from newborns to 24 months. In pink or chestnut, they’re made from leather and sheepskin, and they are too cute!
Splendid Littles Infant Mini Stripe Bodysuit: Moms can never have enough onesies. For girls or boys 0-24 months, this adorable red striped bodysuit is a cozy look for any little one.
True Religion Infant Baby Billy Jeans: Jeans for babies? Precious! For girls and boys 0-24 months, these jeans are 100% cotton and come in medium stonewash or dark stonewash.
Chamois Stroller Blanket: This plush blanket can be monogrammed with a name and date of birth. These baby blankets are available in ivory, pink, bright pink, blue, green, and lavender.
Check out Pottery Barn Kids’ “Nursery Storage” section for an affordable selection of canvas buckets, decoupaged buckets, wood storage, baskets with liners, and silver nursery canisters. Make life a little more organized.
Flip Video Ultra Digital Camcorder: This mini camcorder takes great, clear videos that are easily transferred to the computer. Includes software to make mini-movies with a choice of backgrounds and music. Send movies to friends or even upload them onto YouTube!
New Mother Gift Ideas That Won’t Break The Bank
A new mother might struggle to find the perfect gift for themselves. So, here are some inexpensive gift ideas that won’t break the bank.
Some of these gift ideas might be offbeat, but they are still thoughtful and unique. A new mother will be grateful for any gift that she forgot to add to her baby registry because she is overwhelmed with parenting tasks, but often she will appreciate gifts that make her new life as a mom easier or provide her with more time to herself.
Here are some of my favorite gift ideas for new mothers that won’t break the bank:
- A few days of housekeeping from a service like Molly Maid is one of the best new mom gifts.
- A gift card to Starbucks, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. To make a gift card more unique, “wrap it” in a gift basket.
- Homemade brownie bites, a box of chocolates, or a gift basket of flavored coffee, tea, or other hot drinks, in addition to cute coffee mugs, is an awesome new mom gift idea
- One or two pairs of yoga pants from Target or Old Navy in stretch fabric (both to pack in her hospital bag, as well as to wear around the house during the first months of motherhood)
- Get a personalized book with baby’s name on it and write something in it for the newborn baby. A subscription to BookRoo is another great gift that the baby (and new parents) will continue to enjoy
- Bath bombs for new moms: Bath bombs are a great way to relax and unwind after a long day after work with the baby. Include a spa gift card, face rollers, and other “at-home” gifts for the ultimate relaxation gift
- A gift certificate for DoorDash, Shipt, or Insta Cart is a great option for a first-time mom because shopping can be hard to load a baby in and out of car seats, especially when you have a newborn. It’s always nice when somebody else takes care of it for you! A meal delivery service, if it’s available in the new mama’s area, is another awesome idea
For any gift, wrap it in pretty wrapping paper or surround it with tissue and place it in a decorative bag. If the item is a piece of clothing or blanket, make sure to wrap it in white tissue before wrapping any colored tissue around it.
Don’t forget a thoughtful card.