Regardless of whether you track your spending on a regular basis, you probably have a fairly good idea if your spending is out of control. If you have a queasy feeling every time you leave a store, that’s your first sign. If you hide your purchases when you get home, that’s your second clue. And if you’ve ever said something like, “this old thing?!?” Well, let’s just say that the light bulb should’ve gone off.
It’s easy to overspend. I’ve been there, and I understand. You can do it online with the click of a button, or you can enter a store for a specific thing (some retail therapy?), only to exit with a pit in your stomach over that item that you just had to buy.
But it was on sale? It still counts as overspending.
Over the next month, I’m going to share my best tips for getting your finances under control. It all begins with taking control of your spending. Yes, you need certain “spending tools” as part of your financial toolkit, but those tools are only as good as the holder’s willpower (yes, that’s you).
I don’t have a lot of willpower (hello, empty Oreo container), but there are ways to keep your spending under control even if you can’t resist a sale.
What do you need to work on to take control of your spending (and your finances in general)? Is there anything that you need to focus on this month? Leave a comment below (or message me on Facebook), and I’ll be sure to include it. In the meantime, here’s a list of the topics we already covered:
- Are You Frugal Enough to do a Spending Freeze? There are many easy ways to save by using what you have or going without, especially if it’s only for a month. Learn the right way to do a spending freeze.
- How to Save at an Outlet Mall Outlet malls can be a great place to save, and they are also convenient. They may not have the best prices, though. Here’s how to save at an outlet mall.
- 5 Ways to Save Time (and Money) in a Grocery Store Is it possible to save time and money in a grocery store? Here’s why you don’t have to sacrifice price (or food quality) for time.
- Automate Your Shopping to Save Time and Money I’d rather not carry bulky, overpriced items around a grocery store. Here’s how to easily set up a Subscribe & Save account so your groceries can arrive on your doorstep (at a discount).
- What’s in Your Amazon Subscribe & Save subscription? I love getting my groceries delivered. Here’s a list of top items to add to your order.
- How to Decide if You Should Join a Box Club or Amazon Are you on the fence about joining a box club or Amazon? You may want to consider these factors before making your decision.
- How to Face Your Spending Fear The first step to taking control of your spending is facing your fear, but facing your spending fear is never easy. Here’s how to face your spending fear head on and stop spending mindlessly.
- How to Easily Save Money on Meat It can be difficult to find healthy, quality cuts of meat for a decent price, but it can be done! Try these tips to easily save money on meat!
- How to Save on Produce Without Eating the Same Things You can save money on produce but still eat a variety year-round (canned corn doesn’t need to be your diet staple). Try these 5 tips today.
- Simple Ways to Stock Your Pantry For Less Creating a well-stocked pantry will make your life simpler. It’s possible to stock your pantry while still staying under your grocery budget, too.
- Why (and How) You Need to Set Up a Rainy Day Household Fund Don’t break your bank every time your furnace breaks. Here’s how (and why) to set up a rainy day fund.
- 6 Simple Ways to Create an Effective Grocery List There’s more to creating a grocery list than just writing down random items. These 6 simple tips will help you easily create a grocery list.
- Where to Find the Best Online Deals Do you love sale shopping? Here’s a list of the best sites that scour the internet for online deals and freebies.
- Do You Track Your Spending to Save Money? Is your money flying out of your wallet? Before you even think about creating a budget, you need to track your spending. It’s easier than you think with these tips.
- Are You Making These Common Spending Mistakes? Do you make these common spending mistakes? It’s easy to get into a spending rut or fall into bad habits. Luckily, these mistakes are easily correctable.
Happy spend-as-little-as-possible October!