Good friendship characteristics are so important to recognize and have when you’re searching for the qualities of a good person.
We all go through the ups and downs of life. And when we get to the down times, we need our friends to help us out. Friends are there for us when we’re happy and when we’re sad. They help us through hard times and they celebrate the good times with us.
These characteristics will help you define a good friendship and understand what to avoid in a bad or negative relationship.
What to Expect:
- What are the qualities of a healthy friendship?
- 10 qualities of a good friend
- Bad friend qualities
- Best friend qualities
- 5 qualities of true friendship
What Are the Qualities of a Healthy Friendship?
A good friend is someone who will be there for you in your time of need, someone who will listen to you when you’re feeling down. A good friend is there to help you out when they can and be there for you no matter what.
A healthy friendship is based on six different qualities that both parties have to possess. These are:
- Trustworthiness: A good friend is someone you can trust with your secrets and your heart. You know they will never betray you or use your information against you.
- Loyalty: A good friend is someone who always has your back and will stick by you no matter what happens in life.
- Supportiveness: A good friend is someone who supports you in all aspects of life, whether it be emotionally or physically. A good friend is someone who is there for you when you need them the most. They are a pillar of support and a shoulder to lean on. A good friend will always be honest with you, even if it’s hard to hear what they have to say.
- Genuineness: A good friend is someone who doesn’t pretend to be something they’re not. A true friend is someone who can be themselves around you, as well as make you feel comfortable without feeling self-conscious or insecure in any way.
- Respect: A good friend will never judge you or make you feel bad about yourself. They will always respect your choices and decisions, even if they don’t agree with them.
- Shared interests: Friendship is the most important part of life, and a hallmark of healthy friendship is mutual interest. It can be hard to make friends as an adult because it’s not as easy for people to find common ground these days. The best way to start off a friendship is to find someone you share common interests with because that will help you grow. Whether you find a new friend at the PTO meeting at your child’s school, sitting on the sidelines of a baseball game, or at your library’s story hour, even if you have young kids, you can find friends with shared interests.
A good friend is somebody who cares about your well-being and wants nothing but the best for you in life.
The qualities of a good friend are the foundation of a healthy friendship. They are often overlooked, but they are what make or break a relationship.
Sign up below to get the Fabulous Friendship Journal and discover what true friendship characteristics are most important to you.
10 Qualities of a Good Friend
Having a good friend is one of the most important things in life. But it’s important to know what to look for in a good friend.
Here’s a list of ten qualities of good friends:
Bad Friend Qualities
Just like the characteristics of a good friend are important to recognize, it’s also important to understand which qualities make a bad friend.
Bad friendships can do so much damage to a person, like giving you friendship PTSD, so watch out for these qualities.
Best Friend Qualities
A good friend is someone you can count on. They are someone who will be there for you in your time of need and help you out when you need it most.
A good friend is someone who will listen to your problems and offer their own opinion without judgment.
A good friend is also someone who will give you a hand when you need it and not let go until the end of the journey.
A best friend always has your back. They are there to help you when you need it most. They are not afraid to tell you the truth, even if it’s not what you want to hear.
Bottom line, a best friend is someone who:
- Listens and understands you: A true friend will listen to you and understand what you’re going through. They will also be able to give sound advice.
- Makes time for you: A good friend will always make time for their friends, even if they are busy, because they know how important it is to spend time with the people that care about them.
- Shares their knowledge with you: A good friend will share their knowledge and teach you new things that they know about, even if it’s something that might not be very interesting to them.
- Will tell the truth: A true friend won’t sugarcoat anything for your benefit and will tell the truth (even if it’s hard).
Qualities of True Friendship
A good friend is honest, dependable, and reliable.
A true friend is someone who will always be there for you in the dark times of your life. They are there for advice when things get tough and they are always willing to lend a listening ear when needed.
A true friend is supportive, loyal, and trustworthy.