This post is Day One of the 31 Days to Make Your Home Sparkle for the Holidays series. For the rest of the series, follow along here or on the Tickling the Wheat Facebook page. You can also sign up to receive a weekly recap in the Tickling the Wheat newsletter.
Since we’re kicking off a month-long cleaning session, today I just want you to do some planning and thinking. Every large project begins with a plan. Cleaning your house is no different!
“When you imagine your ideal lifestyle, you are actually clarifying why you want to tidy and identifying the kind of life you want to live once you have finished.” – Marie Kondo in Spark Joy
As you’re creating your plan to have a sparkling home (both for company and for yourself), focus on two things:
First, what is your “why?” What is it that you hope to accomplish this month?
- Is it decluttering?
- Learning how to deep clean your home?
- Learning how to speed clean your home so that it’s never far from being “company ready?”
- Are you tired of living in a house that looks like a war zone (one that you would never want anyone to see)?
I’m sheepishly raising my hand for the last question. 😉
Trust me, sometimes hosting a holiday party or inviting friends over is the best motivation to clean!
As you’re thinking about your “why,” spend some time thinking about your end result, too.
- What do you want your home to look like at the end of the 31 days?
- What do you think a “company-ready” or “welcoming” home looks like?
We’ll cover all of that (and more) this month, so today just think about why you want to spend the next month getting company ready and what your end result will look like.
Today may seem like a relatively short day, but I’ve found that a little planning and preparation can go a long way. Get ready to roll up your sleeves and make your home sparkle!