[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
Essential oils can be a wonderful way to make natural products, scent your home, and boost your mood, but there is so much to learn about using them.
I started using essential oils over a year ago, but I’m still learning new things every day.
Learn about essential oil safety
As a beginner, one of the things that scared me the most was the potency of essential oils. Granted, there are many FDA-approved medications that are much more potent, but fear of the unknown scared me.
One of the first things I did was purchase an Essential Oils Reference Guide (I love the pocket reference guide because it contains a ton of information about everything from the history of essential oils to uses for various oils and blends). I also read as much about essential oil safety as I could.
Especially because of my children’s health concerns (food allergies, seasonal allergies, and asthma), I was overly cautious. While I joined some essential oil Facebook groups, listened to webinars, and read books on essential oils, I was still nervous. I researched which oils were safe to use around children and started diffusing “safe” oils that I felt comfortable using. I also tended to err on the side of caution when reading conflicting information (like the fact that some experts claim that peppermint is unsafe for children under two while others claim it’s unsafe for children under six).
Over time, I began to expand my oil collection and experimenting with oils.
Purchase a starter pack and try using some essential oil favorites
One of the easiest ways to get started with essential oils is to purchase a starter pack. This will give you a variety of different oils to try as you learn more about the oils’ purposes and how to use them. You can also buy individual oils, like lavender, cedarwood, lemon, and even some blends, like Thieves and Purification to start or add to your own set.
This list of essential oils (and some of their common uses) from the Young Living essential oil starter kit will help get you started.
Lavender Essential Oil
Arabs and Romans used lavender for perfumes, burial rituals, bath houses, salves, balms, and cosmetics. It is rooted in the Latin word “lavare”, meaning “to wash.”
- Apply to cuts, scrapes, burns/sunburns, cold sores, insect bites, rashes, or acne to soothe and cleanse.
- Use in a capsule, a teaspoon of honey, or swipe directly around the nose or on the inside of the cheek to help support healthy lung, sinus, and immune function.
- Diffuse, use in an Epson salt bath, or apply topically to promote relaxation and restful sleep.
- Massage into the abdomen for help with menstrual discomfort.
Thieves Essential Oil Blend
Thieves is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary.
- Diffuse for 15-20 minutes to kill airborne bacteria.
- Apply to the bottom of the feet or on the thymus gland daily to aid a healthy immune system.
- Use at the first sign of upset stomach to hasten recovery.
- Mix with a Tablespoon of water, gargle, and swallow for occasional throat discomfort.
- Apply to gums and teeth for relief from discomfort and to support dental health.
- Add one drop to warm apple juice for an immune supporting and comforting cider.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Romans and Greeks used peppermint to flavor food and wines. Icelandic medicinal books (pharmacopeias) reference it back to AD1240.
- To ease tension, uplift, and energize, apply diluted as instructed to temples, back of the neck or forehead, or press a drop on the roof of the mouth.
- Use in a capsule with a carrier oil to help support normal digestion and appetite suppression.
- Dilute as instructed and apply to trunk area and back of the neck for cooling and refreshing relief.
- Improve concentration and focus by placing 1-2 drops on the tongue, diffusing for 20 minutes, or inhaling slowly from the bottle.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has been used for centuries to lower acidity in the body. In the 1790s it was given to sailors in the Royal Navy to eliminate vitamin deficiencies and scurvy.
- Add to drinking water to assist with water retention and appetite suppression.
- Supports digestive function, especially of the gallbladder.
- Use in an Epsom salt bath to accelerate detoxing and to refresh the body and mind.
- Diffuse during testing or homework to improve mental accuracy and concentration
- Use directly to easily remove residue or add to a natural household cleaner to help remove stains.
PanAway Essential Oil Blend
PanAway is a blend of Helichrysum, Wintergreen, Clove, and Peppermint.
- Apply topically or use in an Epsom salt bath to reduce discomfort from everyday aches and pains.
- Create a cream with whipped coconut oil body butter by adding PanAway to help support cartilage and joint function and healthy bone structure.
- To help relax muscles, Helichrysum essential oil can be added to enhance the effect of PanAway.
- Add Wintergreen essential oil to enhance PanAway’s effects on healthy bone structure.
- For occasional aches caused by tension, apply diluted to temples, back of neck, or forehead.
Frankincense Essential Oil
As one of the three gifts of the wise men to Jesus Christ at his birth, frankincense was considered as valuable as gold in ancient times. Egyptian tradition states “Frankincense is good for everything from gout to a broken head” or in other words “good from head to toe.”
- Diffuse or inhale directly to lift mood and inspire balanced emotions.
- Use 5 drops of Frankincense in a capsule with 5 drops each of Idaho Balsam Fir and Copaiba to help relax muscles and ease tension
- Support skin health by applying directly to moles, skin tags, scars, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Add to daily capsules to support a healthy immune system
Purification Essential Oil Blend
Purification is a blend of Lemongrass, Citronella, Lavandin, Rosemary, Melaleuca Alternifolia, and Myrtle.
- Add 2 drops to a wet cloth and put in the clothes dryer to refresh soiled, wet laundry.
- Apply topically to cleanse and soothe cuts and scrapes
- Apply directly to bee stings or bites from insects to help relieve discomfort.
- Create a natural and chemical-free bug repellent.
- Add to a cotton ball and place in the bottom of trash receptacles or diaper pails to neutralize odors.
- Diffuse with lemon to create a fresh and inviting scent while purifying the air.
Stress Away is a blend of Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ocotea, Lavender, and coconut oil. Stress Away can help to bring feelings of peace and tranquility to both children and adults and helps to reduce mental rigidity and restore equilibrium.
- Add a couple of drops to a glass of water to lighten up your mood at work.
- Use topically to help combat the normal stresses that creep into everyday life.
- Diffuse daily to reduce mental rigidity and restore equilibrium.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Melaleuca alternifolia is commonly known at Tea Tree Oil. It is highly regarded for its wide range of uses. It helps to support the immune system and has been shown to be extremely beneficial for the skin.
- Use topically to help promote healthy skin and nails.
- Massage into the chest and throat to promote healthy lung function.
- Use topically to cleanse and ease the discomfort of cuts and scrapes.
- Add to shampoo to promote a healthy scalp and prevent head lice.
Joy Essential Oil Blend
Joy is a blend of Rose, Bergamot, Mandarin, Ylang Ylang, Lemon, Geranium, Jasmine, Palmarosa, Roman Chamomile, and Rosewood.
- Apply over the heart, thymus, temples, and wrists to bring happiness to the heart and inspire romance.
- Diffuse Joy with Lemon for an uplifting and invigorating scent.
- Put 2 drops on a wet cloth and put in the clothes dryer to refresh laundry.
- Apply diluted on children to lift occasional moodiness.
- Provides a fresh and happy scent when added to organic liquid castle soap to make an all-natural body wash.
Citrus Fresh Essential Oil Blend
Citrus Fresh is a blend of Orange, Tangerine, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Lemon, and Spearmint essential oils. Citrus Fresh is rich in the antioxidant d-limonene.
- Diffuse daily to help promote mental alertness and accuracy.
- Take internally to help support the immune system and overall health.
- Inhale regularly to help relieve normal feelings of anxiety.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
To order, go HERE
Begin to make your own products and mixtures